Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Generic 'What I did after my bachelors' Essay

Many medical schools will ask a question such as if you are not completing you undergraduate training this year or enrolled as a full time student briefly describe what you have been doing.


Although this a sort of list the things you have been doing type of essay it is important not to overlook. What most medical schools are looking for is continuation of a medical education or movement to make yourself a more desirable applicant for the coming application cycle. They do not want you to say I worked in a bank and partied with my friends. They want to see medical experience, initiative, research, or graduate school. Here is a sample of what I wrote for them:


I completed my undergraduate work in August 2006. From August to December of 2006 I participated in an Intercultural Studies Internship to Southeast Asia. Upon returning to the USA I began work as a laboratory and surgical assistant at the University of Minnesota Lions Eye Bank from February 2007 to July 2008. After working as a lab assistant I completed a masters in cell and molecular biology at Tulane University with research in cellular neuroscience as it relates to brain health and exercise in ovariectomized rats.


Now is not the time to show them your creativity and/or writing ability. Make brief and the to the point. Give approximate dates and above all be honest. If you did research for one month do not say I did research for two or three months. Here simplicity and easy to understand is key, giving them an accurate picture of what you have accomplished; the details of which may come out in other essays or a sent in Curriculum Vitae.

No comments: